Eavesdropping Statistics in the U.S.
The government places a careful eye on eavesdropping technology and it’s availability. The common name for this scientific technology is called “Technical Surveillance”. As mentioned above, certain types of security equipment could be used to eavesdrop and is statistically classified and documented as such, whether imported into the U.S. or built in country..
- The U.S. Department of State* estimated an average of $500 million annually is expended on purchases of eavesdropping equipment used against private persons.
- The U.S. Department of State* also estimated an average of $300 million annually is expended on corporate eavesdropping devices.
- The average cost spent per month on eavesdropping for one corporate entity is $30000 – $50000.
- 58% of this eavesdropping technology is purchased from outside the United States.
- It has been estimated by the U.S. Department of State* that illegal eavesdropping results in a loss of $8.2 billion a year for U.S. corporations.
- The U.S. Department of State* also estimated that a $2.2 billion dollar annual underground industry and economy of monitoring illegal eavesdropping surveillance devices exists.
- The average cost of a court approved law enforcement surveillance operation is $45,000.
References Stated*1 U. S. State Department/DCI, March, 1997
*2 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2511(1)(a)
Unfortunately since Bush Jr. statistics on surveillance has been kept secret. Just take the numbers given and multiply it exponentially 19 times and you should have a ballpark figure.